Old 30-07-2003, 11:32 PM
Janet Baraclough

Default Knowing when to pick sweet corn

The message
from (Steve Harris) contains these words:

In article ,
(Janet Baraclough) wrote:

Carefully open some layers of husk at the tip of the cob.

Er, yes. There's about 10 tight and very tough interlocking layers. They
won't peel apart. Have you ever tried to open one of those "Documents
Enclosed" pouches on a parcel without tools? It's like that. It took a
lot of force. There's no way to do it carefully. Do you use a craft
knife or something?

No; I've just never found it difficult to do by hand.

Maybe it's the variety?

Could be; I live in Scotland so I always grow short-season, early
maturing varieties. Maybe those have fewer layers of husk.
Just a thought..you are growing sweetcorn for kitchen use, not animal
fodder maize?

Janet