Old 29-07-2003, 01:02 PM
Steve Harris

Default Knowing when to pick sweet corn

I'm growing a sweet corn called "blue jade"

Hessayon says to look out for the tassels going chocolate brown. He also
says to test the corn by squeezing a grain and looking for a creamy
fluid.

Noticing some dark brown tassels, I faced a problem - the corn is
covered with many layers of husk. I tore my way into two of them and
found:

- One ripe one with about 10 grains which tested as being ripe and I
cooked and it was great.
- One large unripe one which of course has lost it's protective husk in
the process! So it's effectively dead.

There is some vital detail in this harvesting process that I'm missing?

when to pick corn? Todd Gardening 24 21-08-2011 06:44 AM
when to pick corn Stephen Snow Gardening 4 18-07-2004 12:02 AM
I would be interested in knowing what this is. Jason United Kingdom 0 26-06-2004 06:17 PM
Need help in knowing when to harvest eggplant ShantiP1 Edible Gardening 3 23-05-2004 08:04 PM
Open pollenated sweet corn zxcvbob Edible Gardening 2 29-01-2003 10:30 PM