Old 31-07-2003, 01:05 AM
Ray

Default Cocoanut mounts

How about spreading a thick layer of clear silicone glue on a thin board,
and sticking the back of the coco fiber mat to it?

.. . . . . . . . . . .
"V_coerulea" wrote in message
I purchased some cocoanut fiber squares and rectangles for mounts as
alternatives for fern slabs. So far I've tried Sarcochilus hartmanii, Epi
parkinsonianum and a few others with fair success. I've found 2 main
problems. One- the comparatively flimsy structure doesn't maintain it's
shape and may curl allowing unestablished specimens to fall from the

mount.
Two- hanging the mount leads to progressive tearing of the fiber which

I've
solved, somewhat, by winding small guage wire along the edge of the

mounting
hole. I haven't experimented much with solving #1. Has anyone come up with

solution for this short of simply not using the medium? I'm not against

fern
as a mounting medium, just thought I'd try the cocoanut fiber as an
alternative.
Gary