Old 31-07-2003, 12:32 AM
V_coerulea

Default Cocoanut mounts

I purchased some cocoanut fiber squares and rectangles for mounts as
alternatives for fern slabs. So far I've tried Sarcochilus hartmanii, Epi
parkinsonianum and a few others with fair success. I've found 2 main
problems. One- the comparatively flimsy structure doesn't maintain it's
shape and may curl allowing unestablished specimens to fall from the mount.
Two- hanging the mount leads to progressive tearing of the fiber which I've
solved, somewhat, by winding small guage wire along the edge of the mounting
hole. I haven't experimented much with solving #1. Has anyone come up with a
solution for this short of simply not using the medium? I'm not against fern
as a mounting medium, just thought I'd try the cocoanut fiber as an
alternative.
Gary

Old 31-07-2003, 01:05 AM
Ray

How about spreading a thick layer of clear silicone glue on a thin board,
and sticking the back of the coco fiber mat to it?

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 31-07-2003, 04:42 PM
K Barrett

Sounds like a real pain in the neck. Maybe using gutter guard to encase the
coconut? Like a sleeve stuffed with coconut? Might be ugly at first, till
the orchid gets so happy it totally covers the mount... (*G*)

K Barrett

Old 31-07-2003, 06:04 PM
J. Del Col

"Ray" wrote in message ...
How about spreading a thick layer of clear silicone glue on a thin board,
and sticking the back of the coco fiber mat to it?

. . . . . . . . . . .
"V_coerulea" wrote in message
[...]

Ray has an excellent suggestion. Untreated cedar roofing shakes would
be good candidates for the backing. They will last for years.

J. Del Col

J. Del Col
Old 01-08-2003, 07:23 PM
V_coerulea

[...]