Old 31-07-2003, 01:02 PM
Justin Hughes

Default Rooting Ivy

Hello,

I have been trying to get some ivy cuttings to root, which I have
liberated from the wall outside where I work. I don't know what type
it it, but it's quite attractive with red edges to it's broad leaves.

I am now on my third batch of cuttings. They keep dying. First I took
some fresh softwood growth, made a cut below a leave stem and took off
the lower roots. Dipped it in rooting compound and planted in seed
compost. After a matter of days the leaves and stem had dryed and
compleletly died.

My second batch were from the more mature part of the original plant,
but I fear it was a bit too woody, and they seem to by dying to.

My third batch have gone in this week, and are from somewhere between
the two. I also tried planting a single leaf, as an experiment.

Any hints? Am I doing everything wrong?

Justin