Old 31-07-2003, 01:02 PM
Justin Hughes

Default Rooting Ivy

Hello,

I have been trying to get some ivy cuttings to root, which I have
liberated from the wall outside where I work. I don't know what type
it it, but it's quite attractive with red edges to it's broad leaves.

I am now on my third batch of cuttings. They keep dying. First I took
some fresh softwood growth, made a cut below a leave stem and took off
the lower roots. Dipped it in rooting compound and planted in seed
compost. After a matter of days the leaves and stem had dryed and
compleletly died.

My second batch were from the more mature part of the original plant,
but I fear it was a bit too woody, and they seem to by dying to.

My third batch have gone in this week, and are from somewhere between
the two. I also tried planting a single leaf, as an experiment.

Any hints? Am I doing everything wrong?

Justin
Old 31-07-2003, 01:22 PM
bigboard

Justin Hughes wrote:
[...]

I'm afraid I'm no expert, but have you tried putting the pot with the
cutting in inside a plastic bag? It's important with cuttings to prevent
them drying out at all times. Also, the sooner you can pot them up the
better, they can dry out very quickly as soon as they are cut. When you
take the cuttings, try sealing them inside a plastic bag immediately
after cutting, and maybe soak the bag in water first to try to keep the
humidity level up.

Old 31-07-2003, 01:43 PM
Mike Roscoe

"Justin Hughes" wrote in a message:

I have been trying to get some ivy cuttings to root, which I have
liberated from the wall outside where I work. I don't know what type
it it, but it's quite attractive with red edges to it's broad leaves.

------
Good Heavens Justin! I wish I had your problem of *not* getting ivy to root,
it is everywhere in my garden, and my neighbour's. The da**ed stuff only has
to see a bit of soil and it roots in no time at all. Your best bet is to
find some of the ivy that has already rooted as ivy doesn't root too well
from cuttings.
Best of luck,
Mike Roscoe

Old 31-07-2003, 02:32 PM
redclay

Justin Hughes wrote in message
om...
Hello,

I have been trying to get some ivy cuttings to root, which I have
liberated from the wall outside where I work. I don't know what type
it it, but it's quite attractive with red edges to it's broad leaves.

Plant the ivy outside where you want it to grow. Just peel the vine off the
wall, dig a trench 1 to 2 inches deep and lay out the vine and cover it. It
will take root just give it time.

Old 31-07-2003, 02:32 PM
Jim W

Justin Hughes wrote:

Hello,

I have been trying to get some ivy cuttings to root, which I have
liberated from the wall outside where I work. I don't know what type
it it, but it's quite attractive with red edges to it's broad leaves.

I am now on my third batch of cuttings. They keep dying. First I took
some fresh softwood growth, made a cut below a leave stem and took off
the lower roots. Dipped it in rooting compound and planted in seed
compost. After a matter of days the leaves and stem had dryed and
compleletly died.

My second batch were from the more mature part of the original plant,
but I fear it was a bit too woody, and they seem to by dying to.

My third batch have gone in this week, and are from somewhere between
the two. I also tried planting a single leaf, as an experiment.

Any hints? Am I doing everything wrong?

Hello Justin..

Sounds like you need to keep it simple.. Try to take 'semi ripe'
cuttings. That is young growth where it has had time to 'ripen' and
become semi mature but not yet woody. Remove the bottom leaves and any
very large leaves.. This will aid rooting (at the base where you put
the cuttings in) and will reduce evaporation. You might also try just
rooting in a jar of water.. Put foil or paper over a jar and stick the
cuttings through to suspend in the jar. Move to compost (multipurpose
with a bit of vermiculite is fine) when you see roots forming.

You shouldn't need rooting powder unless its an unusual cultivar. Some
are harder/slower to propagate. A few red edged are listed he

http://www.fibrex.co.uk/hardycat/hederas.html

//
Jim

Old 31-07-2003, 04:43 PM
Ron

Pull a youngish shoot off the wall and plant it in the soil without cutting
it from the parent plant. It will soon have roots. You can then cut it
off the parent, dig it up and take it home in a polythene bag with the roots
wrapped in wet tissue paper.

B U T you might come to regret it!!

Regards

Ron

Old 01-08-2003, 05:14 PM
Jim W

Ron wrote:

Pull a youngish shoot off the wall and plant it in the soil without cutting
it from the parent plant. It will soon have roots. You can then cut it
off the parent, dig it up and take it home in a polythene bag with the roots
wrapped in wet tissue paper.

B U T you might come to regret it!!

Regards

Ron

Read the OP.. He may well regret it if he has to dig up someone elses
property to get it to root in the soil without removing it from the
parent!-)

//

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
To ivy or not to ivy, that's the question? TimLondon United Kingdom 15 07-05-2013 06:08 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
poisen ivy--scotts roundup poisen ivy ilaboo Lawns 4 06-06-2008 12:52 AM
[IBC] Gel rooting system(questions) Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 0 14-02-2003 12:27 AM