Old 31-07-2003, 02:32 PM
Jim W

Default Rooting Ivy

Justin Hughes wrote:

Hello,

I have been trying to get some ivy cuttings to root, which I have
liberated from the wall outside where I work. I don't know what type
it it, but it's quite attractive with red edges to it's broad leaves.

I am now on my third batch of cuttings. They keep dying. First I took
some fresh softwood growth, made a cut below a leave stem and took off
the lower roots. Dipped it in rooting compound and planted in seed
compost. After a matter of days the leaves and stem had dryed and
compleletly died.

My second batch were from the more mature part of the original plant,
but I fear it was a bit too woody, and they seem to by dying to.

My third batch have gone in this week, and are from somewhere between
the two. I also tried planting a single leaf, as an experiment.

Any hints? Am I doing everything wrong?

Hello Justin..

Sounds like you need to keep it simple.. Try to take 'semi ripe'
cuttings. That is young growth where it has had time to 'ripen' and
become semi mature but not yet woody. Remove the bottom leaves and any
very large leaves.. This will aid rooting (at the base where you put
the cuttings in) and will reduce evaporation. You might also try just
rooting in a jar of water.. Put foil or paper over a jar and stick the
cuttings through to suspend in the jar. Move to compost (multipurpose
with a bit of vermiculite is fine) when you see roots forming.

You shouldn't need rooting powder unless its an unusual cultivar. Some
are harder/slower to propagate. A few red edged are listed he

http://www.fibrex.co.uk/hardycat/hederas.html

//
Jim