Old 31-01-2003, 04:12 AM
Lee Hall

Default The best tomato

Mary McHugh wrote in message ...
Anne Middleton/Harold Walker wrote:

Like beauty, the best tomato is in the eyes (mouth) of the beholder
(taster). It is easy to determine the best producer and the most desease
resistance etc. etc. ......these can established via trials but
"taste'...entirely a different animal altogether....the very best I can do
regards to taste is to determine what I like and go no further....I will
never say the one I like the best is THE BEST.......those that 'argue' that
what they like has to be THE BEST leaves me with an opinion that I would not
grace this site ....... or perhaps disgrace would be a better word.

Comments warmly welcomed on this cold day on Cape Cod

HW.

I agree heartily. For example, I (and my family) love the supersweet 100 cherry
tomato. It's so sweet, it's almost like candy. OTOH, I have a good friend who
doesn't like them because they're too sweet and he prefers a more tomato-ey
flavor.

Good, all the more for us. :-) Variety is the spice of life.

Chin up, it got up to 35 today here in northern Fairfield county, CT. A
veritable heat wave. Can spring be far behind?

Mary

I agree, there is no best but I can give you my top 10...subject to
change with each season.

1. Clear Pink Early - tastiest small tomato I have ever grown -
determinate but puts out two sets here.

2. Mortgage Lifter - huge and tasty

3. 4th of July - right up there with Clear Pink Early - extremely
productive indeterminate

4. Pink Ponderosa - Not highly productive but man what a taste.

5. Pink Brandywine - same as above

6. Black Brandywine - best tasting Black I have grown but a bit
disease prone.

7. Delicious - lives up to it's name and the tomatoes are huge.

8. Old Brooks - medium production, very tasty medium-large tomatoes.

9. Bradley - thin-skinned and prone to cracking but very nice taste.

10. Boxcar Willie - supposed to be productive but mine never
are...taste alone would put in top 3, however.