Old 30-01-2003, 02:15 PM
Anne Middleton/Harold Walker

Default The best tomato

Like beauty, the best tomato is in the eyes (mouth) of the beholder
(taster). It is easy to determine the best producer and the most desease
resistance etc. etc. ......these can established via trials but
"taste'...entirely a different animal altogether....the very best I can do
regards to taste is to determine what I like and go no further....I will
never say the one I like the best is THE BEST.......those that 'argue' that
what they like has to be THE BEST leaves me with an opinion that I would not
grace this site ....... or perhaps disgrace would be a better word.

Comments warmly welcomed on this cold day on Cape Cod

HW.

Old 30-01-2003, 09:06 PM
Mary McHugh

Anne Middleton/Harold Walker wrote:

Like beauty, the best tomato is in the eyes (mouth) of the beholder
(taster). It is easy to determine the best producer and the most desease
resistance etc. etc. ......these can established via trials but
"taste'...entirely a different animal altogether....the very best I can do
regards to taste is to determine what I like and go no further....I will
never say the one I like the best is THE BEST.......those that 'argue' that
what they like has to be THE BEST leaves me with an opinion that I would not
grace this site ....... or perhaps disgrace would be a better word.

Comments warmly welcomed on this cold day on Cape Cod

HW.

I agree heartily. For example, I (and my family) love the supersweet 100 cherry
tomato. It's so sweet, it's almost like candy. OTOH, I have a good friend who
doesn't like them because they're too sweet and he prefers a more tomato-ey
flavor.

Good, all the more for us. :-) Variety is the spice of life.

Chin up, it got up to 35 today here in northern Fairfield county, CT. A
veritable heat wave. Can spring be far behind?

Mary

Old 31-01-2003, 04:12 AM
Lee Hall

Mary McHugh wrote in message ...
[...]

I agree, there is no best but I can give you my top 10...subject to
change with each season.

1. Clear Pink Early - tastiest small tomato I have ever grown -
determinate but puts out two sets here.

2. Mortgage Lifter - huge and tasty

3. 4th of July - right up there with Clear Pink Early - extremely
productive indeterminate

4. Pink Ponderosa - Not highly productive but man what a taste.

5. Pink Brandywine - same as above

6. Black Brandywine - best tasting Black I have grown but a bit
disease prone.

7. Delicious - lives up to it's name and the tomatoes are huge.

8. Old Brooks - medium production, very tasty medium-large tomatoes.

9. Bradley - thin-skinned and prone to cracking but very nice taste.

10. Boxcar Willie - supposed to be productive but mine never
are...taste alone would put in top 3, however.

Old 01-02-2003, 03:23 AM
Zphysics1

Subject: The best tomato
From: (Lee Hall)
Date: 30, 01Jan Sep20032002 8:12 PM
[...]

Green Zebra
Pineapple
Tigerella
Zapotec

Heat wave is here at 90 degrees in Los Angeles today. We may never see winter.

/z.

Old 03-02-2003, 04:43 AM
Cricket

Well, for what it's worth, our Garden Seed Catalog did extensive taste
trials (over 100 varieties) and here is what we came up with. . . .

Best flavor overall

1 Dr. Carolyn (a yellow cherry topped almost every single chart)

2 Eva Purple Ball (a pink extremely blemish free crack resistant variety,
but don't grow in cool moist regions)

3 Mule Team (a red)

4 Reisentraube (a red cherry)

5 Cherokee Purple (though not a beautiful one)

6 Tappy's Finest (a big pink like Brandywine Pink, but scored better in the
trial)

7 Brandywine OTV (a large red heirloom)

Oddly enough, there was one tomato that most folks didn't like but was the
out and out favorite of people that claimed they didn't usually like raw
tomatoes. In fact they liked it so much that they demanded to know what it
was (against the rules of the test until the final tally has been made.) It
was Golden Ponderosa.

--
Please see our website of gardening products at
http://www.southernexposure.com

Peace

Cricket

Old 03-02-2003, 07:12 PM
Lee Hall

"Cricket" wrote in message news:Zhm%9.11132$yU6.8550@fe01...
[...]

You know, it's a funny thing about the Cherokee Purple. I have tried
growing them twice. They have been disease prone (septoria mostly) and
not very productive. Also, the taste was okay but not up there with
Black Krim or Black Brandywine. What's funny about it is where I
live, yup, Tennessee, home of the Cherokee Purple.

Lee Hall
Zone 6B - Tennessee
Old 04-02-2003, 12:06 AM
FarmerDill

Oddly enough, there was one tomato that most folks didn't like but was the
out and out favorite of people that claimed they didn't usually like raw
tomatoes. In fact they liked it so much that they demanded to know what it
was (against the rules of the test until the final tally has been made.) It
was Golden Ponderosa.

Yep. That old Golden Ponderosa is a favorite of those of us who like big sweet

tomatoes and think the round reds are only good for processing.
Old 04-02-2003, 02:46 AM
Zphysics1

rone (septoria mostly) and
not very productive. Also, the taste was okay but not up there with
Black Krim or Black Brandywine. What's funny about it is where I
live, yup, Tennessee, home of the Cherokee Purple.

Lee Hall
Zone 6B - Tennessee

I think Cherokee Purple needs dry conditions. I have good luck with it -- if I
do not water too often. Maybe Tennessee is too humid?

/z.
Old 04-02-2003, 04:14 AM
Cricket

Yea, I've had bad luck with them before, but last year (it was very dry
here) the Cherokee Purple plants yielded like 3/4 bushel each of mostly
blemish free fruits (NOT vegetables) that were the best of the variety I
ever grew (third time I've grown 'em). They rocked at our variety trials,
as I've already posted. In other years though, I have had disease problems
with them.

Now the Dr. Carolyn, wowwwy wo wow, no that's a drop dead yummy thing
though. None compare. Like 80% of those that took the trial said it was
the best of tons of varieties!

--
Please see our website of gardening products at
http://www.southernexposure.com

Peace

Cricket

"Lee Hall" wrote in message