Old 31-07-2003, 06:04 PM
J. Del Col

Default Cocoanut mounts

"Ray" wrote in message ...
How about spreading a thick layer of clear silicone glue on a thin board,
and sticking the back of the coco fiber mat to it?

. . . . . . . . . . .
"V_coerulea" wrote in message
I purchased some cocoanut fiber squares and rectangles for mounts as
alternatives for fern slabs. So far I've tried Sarcochilus hartmanii, Epi
parkinsonianum and a few others with fair success. I've found 2 main
problems. One- the comparatively flimsy structure doesn't maintain it's
shape and may curl allowing unestablished specimens to fall from the

mount.
Two- hanging the mount leads to progressive tearing of the fiber which

I've
solved, somewhat, by winding small guage wire along the edge of the

mounting
hole. I haven't experimented much with solving #1. Has anyone come up with

solution for this short of simply not using the medium? I'm not against

fern
as a mounting medium, just thought I'd try the cocoanut fiber as an
alternative.
Gary

Ray has an excellent suggestion. Untreated cedar roofing shakes would
be good candidates for the backing. They will last for years.

J. Del Col

J. Del Col