Old 01-08-2003, 03:37 AM
simy1

Default The corn saga

Andrew McMichael wrote in message ...
Pat Meadows wrote:

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 11:44:17 -0500, Andrew McMichael
wrote:

Ha. Despite this being a city of 50,000, we're pretty rural. Everyone in
politics around here grew up together and are intermarried. The sheriff's
family and the judge's family go *way* back. The judge's family has a school,
a street, a youth center, and the Arts & Sciences part of our college named
after them. The sheriff is a good ole boy. named "Peanuts" Gaines. In a big
city that'd work, around here I'm not so sure.

It seems to me that your best alternative is to fence your
garden sufficiently to keep dogs out.

Most likely I'll use an electric fence with a low charge. Enough to make
something run, but not enough to hurt.

I encourage you to do that. Animals from deer to squirrels only need
to touch it once and they stay away for a long time. You will re-use
the fence, guaranteed. In fact, in my case it is permanently attached
to the top of the fence surrounding my garden. I turn it on about once
a year, when I see something eaten, for a couple of days. It only
costs 19.99.