Old 01-08-2003, 12:42 PM
LeighMo

Default 55g planted setup

Flourite (I already have 3 bags because I was going to make my smaller
tank a planted tank but i upgraded I guess.. oops...) - question here
is I will be buying 2 more bags, do you think this is sufficent for a
55g aquarium? That is 77lbs of flourite, or should I get more???....

That will probably be enough for a 55 gallon tank. I used 8 bags for my 75
gallon. You could also cut it with plain gravel, which a lot of people do to
save money.

Am planning on sometime within next 2 months to buy a CO2 set-up and
probally put a ph controller on it..

IMO, that's overkill for a tank with only 2 watts per gallon over it. You
don't need CO2 at all, let alone a pH controller. If you want CO2, don't
bother with a controller. Spend the money on more lights. Controllers can be
more trouble than they are worth, especially for a beginner. (If they go bad,
or aren't properly calibrated, they can kill all your fish.) Probably most of
us who inject Co2 don't use controllers.

Also for night I would probally wanna run some air into the tank when
the lights are off right? So how much or how big of a air pump do I
need then?

Nah. If you do it right, there should be plenty of oxygen, even at night.
Your Fluval is enough.

Leigh