Old 01-08-2003, 03:12 PM
Will Cook

Default Help with butterfly ID

Raleighgirl wrote:

The butterfly section in the Audubon's Insect Guide fails me
again and I don't know enough to Google... This is a black and
white butterfly with regular top wings and long lower wings. It
flits and moves much faster than swallowtails. Anyone know what
it is and what it eats? I want to see MORE!

Sounds like a Zebra Swallowtail -- is this it?
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/pix/zebraswt.html

Their host plant is Common Pawpaw
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/trees/astr.html
which occurs in wet forests, but you can find Zebra Swallowtails zipping
through areas far from the nearest Pawpaw patch. They may also
sometimes use Dwarf Pawpaw, which occurs in drier habitats.
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/trees/aspa.html

Will