Old 02-08-2003, 10:22 AM
Pete Bradbury

Default substrate?

I did just this.

I used a plastic syphon tube ( the large one at the end of the thin pipe,
about 1inch diameter, open both ends), placed it into the gravel and filled
the tube in situ, with the laterite.

Pushing the tube throught the gravel, and lifting slightly, the ploughning
action released the laterite under the gravel, in my case a quartz type.

This done a number of times all the laterite ended up beneath the gravel ,
and not above.

It can be done you just have to be careful not to pull the tube too near to
the surface of the gravel.

Good luck!

"Dan Norgard" wrote in message
Ok, I'm new at this...last tank I had was 45 years ago. Now I think I've
jumped the gun. I have a 29 gal. tank with 'natural' gravel and I planted
several varieties straight into the gravel. I just have 3 small fish

right
now.
The question is: Can I move the gravel aside and insert the Laterite

around
the plants without turning the water to mud?
Thanks,
Dan