Old 02-08-2003, 02:02 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Default Rabbit food!

Lionel C. Abrahams said:

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 05:58:40 -0500, Pat Kiewicz wrote:

Trapped three rabbits this spring with apple slices. Bait around the outside of
the trap with small pieces and put a bigger piece inside. Sprinkle the area
around the trap with a bit of vanilla extract. Wear gloves -- garden gloves with
plenty of dirt worked into them -- to handle the trap.

Thanks. I have a LOT to learn. I have not been wearing any glove. Could that
have been the problem?

Part of it. And the trap needs to be 'aged' a bit too, rather than fresh out of the box.

Actually, the best lure for cottontails is to have had another rabbit urinate in the
trap (according to a researcher who had to trap lots of them).
--
Pat K.

(attributed to Don Marti)