Old 30-07-2003, 11:02 PM
Lionel C. Abrahams

Default Rabbit food!

I have put a live trap to capture a rabbit who is doing some job on my wife's plants.
Well I used cabagge leaf with peanut butter. He is not touching it. I see him wandering about,
but does not seem interested in the live trap nor its food. 2 days no bite.

I added a baby carrot with peanut butter (Bugs Bunny is ALWAYS eating a carrot) to the cabbage leaf.
Well 1 day no bite. I am beginning to wonder on my approach. Maybe he hates peanut butter?!?!?!

What is their favorite food then?

TIA
....Posted by Lionel C. Abrahams
with PMINews 2.00.1205
on eCS_PRO 1.01...(aka Warp 4.51)

Old 31-07-2003, 12:12 AM
Tim Fischer

"Lionel C. Abrahams" wrote in message
.net...

I have put a live trap to capture a rabbit who is doing some job on my

wife's plants.
Well I used cabagge leaf with peanut butter. He is not touching it. I

see him wandering about,
but does not seem interested in the live trap nor its food. 2 days no

bite.

I added a baby carrot with peanut butter (Bugs Bunny is ALWAYS eating a

carrot) to the cabbage leaf.
Well 1 day no bite. I am beginning to wonder on my approach. Maybe he

hates peanut butter?!?!?!

The problem is you need to entice him with something better than what's in
the garden. A cabbage leaf won't look too inviting when he can gnaw on an
entire cabbage head on the other side of the garden.

Maybe try putting the trap further from the garden, but where he'd still
frequent.

-Tim

Old 31-07-2003, 12:12 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Lionel C. Abrahams said:

What is their favorite food then?

Trapped three rabbits this spring with apple slices. Bait around the outside of
the trap with small pieces and put a bigger piece inside. Sprinkle the area
around the trap with a bit of vanilla extract. Wear gloves -- garden gloves with
plenty of dirt worked into them -- to handle the trap.

--
Pat K.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 01-08-2003, 04:02 PM
Lionel C. Abrahams

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 05:58:40 -0500, Pat Kiewicz wrote:

Trapped three rabbits this spring with apple slices. Bait around the outside of
the trap with small pieces and put a bigger piece inside. Sprinkle the area
around the trap with a bit of vanilla extract. Wear gloves -- garden gloves with
plenty of dirt worked into them -- to handle the trap.

Thanks. I have a LOT to learn. I have not been wearing any glove. Could that have been
the problem?
....Posted by Lionel C. Abrahams
with PMINews 2.00.1205
on eCS_PRO 1.01...(aka Warp 4.51)

Old 02-08-2003, 02:02 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Lionel C. Abrahams said:

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 05:58:40 -0500, Pat Kiewicz wrote:

Trapped three rabbits this spring with apple slices. Bait around the outside of
the trap with small pieces and put a bigger piece inside. Sprinkle the area
around the trap with a bit of vanilla extract. Wear gloves -- garden gloves with
plenty of dirt worked into them -- to handle the trap.

Thanks. I have a LOT to learn. I have not been wearing any glove. Could that
have been the problem?

Part of it. And the trap needs to be 'aged' a bit too, rather than fresh out of the box.

Actually, the best lure for cottontails is to have had another rabbit urinate in the
trap (according to a researcher who had to trap lots of them).
--
Pat K.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 09-08-2003, 01:13 PM
Darla

If you live in a arid area, or even a area that may be drought prone, as
mine is, try putting a bowl of water at the far end of the trap. Wabbits
are very timid and afriad of anything new so it may be a while until you
coax the little critter in there. You may also want to try covering the
entire trap with some leaves, so it dosn't look like a metal box any longer.

hope this helps

Mike