Old 02-08-2003, 04:02 PM
flicker

Default No bees visit Monarda 'Jacob Cline'

From: paghat@netscapeSPAM-ME-NOT.

I was under the impression that bees (large ones at least, including
honeybees) aren't all that fussy & see pretty much the full range of
flower colors as equally significant. Not so? Any pattern or color at any
spectrum honeybees would either not see at all or intentionally ignore?

I'm not the bee expert, but in my experience, the bees in my garden have always
favored the violets, pinks, and light purple flowers. They are all over the
purple coneflower, violet monarda, violet butterfly bush, joe-pye weed,
catmint, etc. But they are not as enthusiastic for the yellows, like
black-eyed susans, and the reds, like the monarda.

Bianca
zone 6-7 Long Island