Old 02-08-2003, 09:23 PM
Rodger Whitlock

Default Advice re Chocolate Cosmos please

On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 13:35:59 GMT, Paul & Suzie Beckwith wrote:

We bought a couple of chocolate cosmos plants...They smell wonderful,
and keep throwing out new flowers, and we really don't want to kill
them off...

Any suggestions please?

They have fleshy, finger-shaped tubers somewhat like a dahlia,
and are about as tender as a most dahlias. Perhaps they are
slightly more tender -- my chocolate cosmos died when The Bishop
of Llandaff survived. The pots need protection against freezing
in winter, and should be kept only "barely damp" then.

Repot in spring when new growth starts.

You might do well to pot your present plants on *now* to give
them more root run. They will fill a surprisingly large pot.

Another chocolate-scented plant: Berlandiera lyrata.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada