Old 02-08-2003, 02:42 PM
Paul & Suzie Beckwith

Default Advice re Chocolate Cosmos please

Hi all,

Newbie here, usually I can be found on rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
but hubby and I are foraying out into the jungle that is our garden,
and would like to start asking questions if we may...

We bought a couple of chocolate cosmos plants from a garden centre a
little while ago, currently they are still in their pots while we
battle against the 45 foot x 8 foot nettle patch we laughingly call a
garden. The label says nothing apart from the fact they are chocolate
cosmos - or cosmos chocolate, depending on which way you read it...

We seem to remember seeing chocolate smelling plants being advertised
somewhere, and I'm sure one of the myriad gardening programmes we have
on cable touched on them some time, but we don't quite know what to do
with them. They smell wonderful, and keep throwing out new flowers,
and we really don't want to kill them off...

Any suggestions please?

Oh, and whilst we're on the subject of nettles, any suggestions on a
brand of systemic weedkiller that'll actually get rid of the buggers,
rather than be treated like a feed and enable them to grow bigger?

Thanks,
Suzie B
--
"From the internet connection under the pier"
Southend, UK

Old 02-08-2003, 03:12 PM
Jim W

Paul & Suzie Beckwith wrote:

[...]

Get ye onto google www.google.co.uk, learn to use it and keep it as one
of your best gardening tools!-)
--------------------
Google Search: Chocolate scented plants
http://www.google.com/search?client=...scented%20plan
ts
Saturday, August 2, 2003

http://www.google.com/search?client=...0scented%20pla
nts

Is a good start

The list below is good but does not contain Akebia Quinata (Chocolate
Vine / Five-Leaf Akebia)

Only 2 that I have out of the list below are a mint and perlagonium..
(One of the scented leaf cultivars)

Enjoy!-)

//
Jim

http://www.tropicalesque.com/pg_pere...a_quinata.html
Saturday, August 2, 2003

ABOUT AKEBIA QUINATA
Akebia quinata is a twining woody vine and a vigorous climber. Its dense
green foliage is divided into groups of five leaves. Its flowers, which
appear in spring, are small and can be obscured by the foliage. They are
chocolate-scented, hence the common name. The flowers of the species are
purple, but can vary by cultivar. Akebia quinata 'Shirobana' has white
flowers that are supposedly more fragrant than the species.
The chocolate vine is deciduous in cold climates, but can be
semi-evergreen to evergreen in warmer areas. It is a good choice for a
vertical foliage accent in moderately shaded locations
EnglishGarden.LifeTips.com
http://englishgarden.lifetips.com/Ti...__id__E__67234
Saturday, August 2, 2003

Great Choices For Chocolate Scents
Do you want to grow chocolate scented plants? Here are a few that emit a
chocolate fragrance.
Hoya (certain ones)
Chocolate mint
Chocolate cosmos
Chocolate Daisy
Scented geraniums (certain ones)

Old 02-08-2003, 06:04 PM
Franz Heymann

"Paul & Suzie Beckwith" wrote in message
[...]

Glyphosate does the trick. It acts slowly but surely. You may need more
than one application.
[Franz Heymann]

Thanks,
Suzie B

Old 02-08-2003, 09:23 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 13:35:59 GMT, Paul & Suzie Beckwith wrote:

We bought a couple of chocolate cosmos plants...They smell wonderful,
and keep throwing out new flowers, and we really don't want to kill
them off...

Any suggestions please?

They have fleshy, finger-shaped tubers somewhat like a dahlia,
and are about as tender as a most dahlias. Perhaps they are
slightly more tender -- my chocolate cosmos died when The Bishop
of Llandaff survived. The pots need protection against freezing
in winter, and should be kept only "barely damp" then.

Repot in spring when new growth starts.

You might do well to pot your present plants on *now* to give
them more root run. They will fill a surprisingly large pot.

Another chocolate-scented plant: Berlandiera lyrata.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 03-08-2003, 08:03 AM
Natalie

"
We bought a couple of chocolate cosmos plants from a garden centre a
little while ago, currently they are still in their pots while we
battle against the 45 foot x 8 foot nettle patch we laughingly call a
garden. The label says nothing apart from the fact they are chocolate
cosmos - or cosmos chocolate, depending on which way you read it...

I have successfully grown chocolate cosmos in a pot for several years here
in North London. They are tender and need to be kept somewhere warmish i.e.
next to the house during the winter. They must be free draining...they
prefer to be drier over the winter. I kept mine in pots partly because they
are late to get going and so I can keep the pot out of site until there is
something to see.

HTH

Natalie

Chocolate Cosmos Cuttings Ross Gardening 0 31-05-2009 06:49 PM
Chocolate Cichlid Bob in PA Ponds 3 05-10-2003 06:32 PM
Chocolate mint? Sacha United Kingdom 15 23-09-2003 12:28 PM
how to make Almond Paste (Marzipan)?? SV: chocolate making Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 01:21 PM
SV: chocolate making -- Tempering Chocolate! Gary Pollack Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 01:21 PM