Old 02-08-2003, 11:02 PM
paghat

Default No bees visit Monarda 'Jacob Cline'

This thread made me look most closely at my "Jacob Kline" patch & my
equally red "Raspberry Wine" patch, & there's no question about it, the
bees are all over them. That bees bypass bright red monardas in other
peoples' gardens still quite amazes me. I liked both the theory that the
very-slender tubes were difficult for the bees to reach into, or that
either the red or whatever color they are under UV color doesn't attract
them, except bees are fully attracted to mine. I watched a bumblebee
scurring eagerly from one tube to the next, sticking its little head
underneath the lip of the tube, I pushing straight down into the tube
apparently rewarded by the push. I did notice, however, that more bees (&
more kinds of bees) were visiting the "Ace of Spades" scabiosa growing
amidst the "Raspberry Wine" monarda.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"