Old 03-08-2003, 09:17 AM
Franz Heymann

Default Advice re Chocolate Cosmos please

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from (Paul & Suzie Beckwith) contains
these words:

We bought a couple of chocolate cosmos plants from a garden centre a
little while ago, currently they are still in their pots while we
battle against the 45 foot x 8 foot nettle patch we laughingly call a
garden. The label says nothing apart from the fact they are chocolate
cosmos - or cosmos chocolate, depending on which way you read it...

We seem to remember seeing chocolate smelling plants being advertised
somewhere, and I'm sure one of the myriad gardening programmes we have
on cable touched on them some time, but we don't quite know what to do
with them. They smell wonderful, and keep throwing out new flowers,
and we really don't want to kill them off...

Any suggestions please?

They are quite tender, so depending where you live they might not
survive winter, especially if they are outside in pots. Either, get them
planted soon so that they get established then in autumn as they start
to die down, give them a cosy mulch of old bracken.

My understanding is that bracken is carcinogenic. I used to make enormous
heaps of bracken compost until I was advised to stop it. Perhaps it was bad
advice? [Franz Heymann]

Or, keep the pots in
a cool frostfree light place through winter.

Janet.