Old 03-08-2003, 02:42 PM
Phisherman

Default Roses under jars?

On 03 Aug 2003 12:19:10 GMT, (Allview) wrote:

Can a rosa rugosa be started by putting a stem in the ground and placing a jar
over it? I remember my grandmother starting roses this way. Is it too late in
the year?

Marilyn

That's how I recall many folks did it. The jar is left on the cutting
throughout the winter months. When warmer weather starts, gradually
prop the jar up for circulation. With temperatures in the 80's the
inside of the jar will cook the stem. Many roses are grafted so
propagating in this manner may result in a weak root system.