Old 03-08-2003, 01:22 PM
Allview

Default Roses under jars?

Can a rosa rugosa be started by putting a stem in the ground and placing a jar
over it? I remember my grandmother starting roses this way. Is it too late in
the year?

Marilyn
Old 03-08-2003, 09:02 PM
David Hill

".......... Can a rosa rugosa be started by putting a stem in the ground and
placing a jar
over it? .........."

I cant understand why if you are layering a stem you want to put a jar over
it.
It should root over the winter quite happily on its own.

It would be interesting for someone to try a bunch, half with jars and half
without.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 04-08-2003, 02:22 AM
Phisherman

On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 20:51:02 +0100, "David Hill"
wrote:

".......... Can a rosa rugosa be started by putting a stem in the ground and
placing a jar
over it? .........."

I cant understand why if you are layering a stem you want to put a jar over
it.
It should root over the winter quite happily on its own.

It would be interesting for someone to try a bunch, half with jars and half
without.

The idea of the jar is to create little greenhouse and keep the
cutting from drying out. It also provides the needed winter
protection, and you should see new growth sooner under a jar due to
the warmer spring conditions. I've had better luck rooting rose
cuttings in vermiculite or sand because of the microbes in soil may
cause rot.
Old 04-08-2003, 04:02 AM

When the ancient war dogs did battle on Mon, 04 Aug 2003 01:21:20 GMT,
Phisherman did speak the following bit of wisdom:

The idea of the jar is to create little greenhouse and keep the
cutting from drying out. It also provides the needed winter
protection, and you should see new growth sooner under a jar due to
the warmer spring conditions. I've had better luck rooting rose
cuttings in vermiculite or sand because of the microbes in soil may
cause rot.

I've had very good luck rooting rose cuttings by just be sticking them
in soil after striking them, without benefit of any rooting hormone or
jars or anything. My problem is getting the cuttings to survive AFTER
they root. They never seem to survive our winters, even with added
protection. I wonder if they just have naturally weak root systems
when made this way. Any ideas what I could be doing wrong?

* * * * *
Karen C.
Southern CT / USDA Zone 6
Spammers be damned! I can't be emailed from this account...

"Gardeners know all the best dirt!"

Old 04-08-2003, 09:09 AM
David Hill

"........ The idea of the jar is to create little greenhouse and keep the
cutting from drying out. ....."

That I can understand, but the original said about laying a stem into the
soil, not taking a cutting.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 05-08-2003, 10:32 PM

When the ancient war dogs did battle on Mon, 04 Aug 2003 03:09:51 GMT,
Phisherman did speak the following bit of wisdom:

My dad would pile 5 feet of leaves on top of his roses--with this method
the roses were fortified with leaf mold.

Ah-HA! Thanks Phisherman! Next time I strike some rose cuttings, I'll
try your Dad's method. I was mounding up the mulch (bark chips) around
and on top of the new plants, but wasn't using that deep of a layer
because I was afraid of rot setting in. Never even thought of using
leaves. (DUH!) Well, there's always next year... Thanks again!

* * * * *

Old 05-08-2003, 11:42 PM
David Hill

I have come across this idea with Fuchsias grown at Dyfrin Gardens
http://www.dyffryngardens.care4free.net/

They were grown in a series of beds with 12 inch box hedging all round, in
the Autumn (Fall) they were cut back to about 6 inches and the beds were
filled with leaves.
These leaves protected them from the frost, and in the Spring would break
down to leave a mulch of leafmould

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 08-08-2003, 07:04 PM
Zemedelec

If you need cloches for tiny plants, save your glasses with chipped edges,
stemmed ones whose stem has broken off, etc.
zemedelec