Old 03-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Gregory Young

Default Goldifsh with torn side

Hi Scott:
Sorry to hear about your fish. I agree, you should euthanize it.
The least painful way of euthanizing your fish is to go to the supermarket,
pickup oil of cloves, add it to a bucket of water, then put your fish in. It
will cause respirations to stop, after the fish is anesthetized.
All the "experts" I have either talked to, or read from, say freezing is not
a benign way to go, but it certainly is available and easy for the owner.
Oil of cloves is not expensive, and is easy to obtain.....
Good luck,
Greg
--

"Scott Teetsel" wrote in message
I was making changes to my filter & pump today and one of my gold fish got
sucked into the intake of my pump. Actually, his side got stuck on the
intake. Fortunately, I knew something was wrong when I was watching my
fountain and it all of a sudden stopped. Anyways, the free got free and I
later found him. His left side, almost to his rear tail, is torn and part
of his insides are hanging out. I have separated him, but don't know what
to do for him, if there is anything. He is still mostly active. Any

ideas?
Should I wait and see, or go put out of his misery, if he is in misery?

Thanks, Scott