Old 02-08-2003, 12:33 AM
Scott Teetsel

Default Goldifsh with torn side

I was making changes to my filter & pump today and one of my gold fish got
sucked into the intake of my pump. Actually, his side got stuck on the
intake. Fortunately, I knew something was wrong when I was watching my
fountain and it all of a sudden stopped. Anyways, the free got free and I
later found him. His left side, almost to his rear tail, is torn and part
of his insides are hanging out. I have separated him, but don't know what
to do for him, if there is anything. He is still mostly active. Any ideas?
Should I wait and see, or go put out of his misery, if he is in misery?

Thanks, Scott

Old 02-08-2003, 01:42 AM
Iain Miller

"Scott Teetsel" wrote in message
I was making changes to my filter & pump today and one of my gold fish got
sucked into the intake of my pump. Actually, his side got stuck on the
intake. Fortunately, I knew something was wrong when I was watching my
fountain and it all of a sudden stopped. Anyways, the free got free and I
later found him. His left side, almost to his rear tail, is torn and part
of his insides are hanging out. I have separated him, but don't know what
to do for him, if there is anything. He is still mostly active. Any

ideas?
Should I wait and see, or go put out of his misery, if he is in misery?

Hard to tell without seeing it but if you have him separated and out of the
pond in some sort of reasonable sized container then something like some
Melafix is very good for helping wounds to heal & avoid infections. Its an
Aquarium product and you need about 5ml for every 10USG of water on a 7 day
treatment.

If you do keep him in only a few gallons of water for a week or so then make
sure you change the water (and also replenish the meds) or have some kind of
filter running. I wouldn't bother to feed him for a good few days.

I.

Old 02-08-2003, 09:12 AM
jammer

On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 03:10:51 GMT, "Scott Teetsel"
wrote:

Well, somehow I need to get his intestines back inside, if that is even
possible.

Scott

Yuck! That is bizarre....

Old 02-08-2003, 06:13 PM

put the fish in a bit of water and into the freezer. you arent likely to bring this
one around. Ingrid

"Scott Teetsel" wrote:

Well, somehow I need to get his intestines back inside, if that is even
possible.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 03-08-2003, 05:42 PM
Just Me \Koi\

Put the darn fish out of it's misery! In water into the freezer! Or in
water and lots of ice cubes!

Sorry about the accident!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Old 03-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Gregory Young

Hi Scott:
Sorry to hear about your fish. I agree, you should euthanize it.
The least painful way of euthanizing your fish is to go to the supermarket,
pickup oil of cloves, add it to a bucket of water, then put your fish in. It
will cause respirations to stop, after the fish is anesthetized.
All the "experts" I have either talked to, or read from, say freezing is not
a benign way to go, but it certainly is available and easy for the owner.
Oil of cloves is not expensive, and is easy to obtain.....
Good luck,
Greg

Old 03-08-2003, 08:02 PM
sandra

thats the method I use too. A tablespoon or so of oil (depends on size of
fish)to just enough water to barely cover fish. The oil can be mixed easier
if you add a very small amount of rubbing alcohol. Sorry for your loss.
sandra

news

Old 05-08-2003, 11:02 PM

the experts on freezing up here in wisconsin say they didnt feel any pain until they
started warming them back up. these fish do fine at 34oF in outdoor ponds, at that
temp the nerves are very numbed indeed. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

broken/ripped/torn leaf zumbul Gardening 2 18-04-2010 11:28 AM
torn tomato needing saving George.com United Kingdom 7 12-12-2008 02:12 PM
Flowers: side by side mea305 Gardening 1 10-01-2007 02:23 PM
Patching torn Butyl rubber liner? Dave Bell Ponds 4 01-06-2004 09:09 PM
south side of a solo tree in open field is the best side Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 2 15-05-2003 02:20 PM