Old 04-08-2003, 04:02 AM

Default Roses under jars?

When the ancient war dogs did battle on Mon, 04 Aug 2003 01:21:20 GMT,
Phisherman did speak the following bit of wisdom:

The idea of the jar is to create little greenhouse and keep the
cutting from drying out. It also provides the needed winter
protection, and you should see new growth sooner under a jar due to
the warmer spring conditions. I've had better luck rooting rose
cuttings in vermiculite or sand because of the microbes in soil may
cause rot.

I've had very good luck rooting rose cuttings by just be sticking them
in soil after striking them, without benefit of any rooting hormone or
jars or anything. My problem is getting the cuttings to survive AFTER
they root. They never seem to survive our winters, even with added
protection. I wonder if they just have naturally weak root systems
when made this way. Any ideas what I could be doing wrong?

* * * * *
Karen C.
Southern CT / USDA Zone 6
Spammers be damned! I can't be emailed from this account...

"Gardeners know all the best dirt!"