Old 04-08-2003, 05:02 PM
Cass

Default Time for a fence?

In article , Mark. Gooley
wrote:

Fences seem terribly expensive. The Muncy nursery near Sarasota,
Florida has a high fence that looked to me (on my sole visit a couple
years ago) to be made of plastic or plastic-coated-wire mesh, rather
delicate looking, possibly something like the stuff on this site:
http://www.bennersgardens.com/bg/product.asp?pageCode=1 .
Over a buck a running foot just for the fence material, posts not
included, and what roses I have in the ground aren't all within a
nice tidy rectangle: some would have to be moved.

Fences are expensive. That's why you should try to put in a good one
the first time around. You don't want to spend the money twice.

High-tension Australian/New Zealand style fence, electrified or
not, would be another possibility, but not much cheaper. I'm told
that a simple electric fence will 1) likely get broken by deer and
2) deer sometimes slip between wires and endure the slight shocks
for long enough to get through.

Still haven't tried ultrasonic noisemaker: still haven't assembled the
kit-form one I have.

Have you tried the motion-activated sprinkler? Don't know if it works.

Anyone out there have experience with fences to keep out deer?

We westerners all fence. It's a necessity here to keep out deer. 6
feet of wire, 4 x 4's set in concrete every 8 feet, with 2 x 4 top
rail and bottom rail. And that doesn't count the gates. Put in plenty
of gates. How much land are you fencing? And how big are your deer?
Deer can jump a 6 foot fence but won't if there's a dog inside.