Old 05-08-2003, 04:19 AM
disy

Default Our first Dendrobium

"Ebthtr" wrote in message
From: "Wendy"

but I don't understand? Is the plant
attached
to a piece of wood that is stuck in the pot?

Hi
Thanks for the welcome.
Bear with me on this description.
It's in a 4" pot and it looks like a round log/bark whatever that a hole

was
drilled in and then the plant was placed in there. I soaked it this

morning in
rainwater. Still feels dry to me...BTW the round bark piece that it sits

in is
cracked in the center and I can see the roots there, plus the roots are

growing
over the side. They are grey. There is a big main shoot (? don't know the
terminology) with one inflorescense (sp?) and lots of pretty dark purple
flowers. There are about 7 other shoots with the potential for more

flowers to
come up from them.

Now another question.
Was in another Home Depot and got another Dendrobium. This one pale purple

and
white. One of the blossoms was open and the rest on on their way. Now

today it
looks like the opened one is withering and the next one in line to open is
starting to look dry as well. This one is planted in grey colored spagham

as
opposed to the other one. I know sometimes an orchid with drop it's

flowers
when it's moved. Is this the case?

Thanks for your help
Linda

Linda,

I am not sure if it is normal or not, but both Dendrobium that I bought
while blooming lost their buds within 2 weeks, and the couple of flowers did
not last long either. The plants seem to be doing well, it's been about 3
years and both of those have flowered since.

Diana