Old 02-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Ebthtr

Default Our first Dendrobium

Hi!
New to this group. Have lots of questions.
First one: Just bought a Dendrobium at Home Depot today. It's in a big chunk of
bark, which is totally dry. If I soak it in some rain water, how long do I soak
it?
Thanks
Linda
Old 02-08-2003, 10:02 PM
Kenni Judd

Till the "chunk" is wet all the way through. 5 minutes would probably do
it, I wouldn't let it go much more than a half-hour. Does the nametag say
anything more than "Dendrobium"?

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com

Old 03-08-2003, 01:42 PM
Diane Mancino

I potted mine in standard orchid mix- as a new grower- I had to check out
what it was growing in and since it was on the reduced rack- wanted to give
it a fresh start- I had a chuck of wood in mine too- gently soaked and left
a little attached. If its fresh- don't worry about it. The dendrobiums like
a tight pot.

I bet this would be a good mounted orchid

"Bette Noir" wrote in message
om...

From: "Kenni Judd"

Does the nametag say
anything more than "Dendrobium"?

There are two tags in the pot.

Here's what's on one name tag says Dendrobium
com w/rl.x s. minist
nk 30-02
tcs 793

The other one just has a photo with the name Klassic Beauties and on the

other
side w/light, water, temp & size info.

another question: The Phal I bought at Target came in a plastic pot

inside a
terra cotta pot. This one came in terra cotta pot only. Would it be a

good idea
to put it in a plastic pot, then put the plastic pot in terra cotta?
Just wondering.
Thanks
Linda

That sounds like my very first orchid -- a dendrobium salaya
ministripe from the same company mounted on the same type of wood. I
see them at HD now and then and see the same question about what to do
with it on different boards. I have no useful care tips, but I do
want to say that the wood is more absorbent than it appears from the
outside. I followed a suggestion that I read and carefully peeled off
the wood from around the roots with pliers. It was quite moist inside.
I don't' know know if I did the right thing, just giving you the
information to let you know that it may not be as dry as it looks.

The salaya ministripe is a little cutie, I have to say. I've been
tempted by the others I've run across.

Old 03-08-2003, 03:33 PM
Wendy

Welcome Linda, to our little orchid world news group & to this wonderful
hobby.
You have already received good advice but I don't understand? Is the plant
attached
to a piece of wood that is stuck in the pot?
Soaking is good but just remember not to let the plants sit in water
until the next watering.
Keep in touch.
Cheers Wendy

Old 03-08-2003, 08:12 PM
tbell

One reason for the plastic inside terra cotta is to provide ballast to keep
the plant from tipping over. I'm forever knocking over my dens when they
grow tall and heavy.
Tom
Nikon Coolpix 5700
(Please remove appendix to reply by e-mail)

Old 05-08-2003, 04:19 AM
disy

From: "Wendy"

but I don't understand? Is the plant
attached
to a piece of wood that is stuck in the pot?

Hi
Thanks for the welcome.
Bear with me on this description.
It's in a 4" pot and it looks like a round log/bark whatever that a hole

was
drilled in and then the plant was placed in there. I soaked it this

morning in
rainwater. Still feels dry to me...BTW the round bark piece that it sits

in is
cracked in the center and I can see the roots there, plus the roots are

growing
over the side. They are grey. There is a big main shoot (? don't know the
terminology) with one inflorescense (sp?) and lots of pretty dark purple
flowers. There are about 7 other shoots with the potential for more

flowers to
come up from them.

Now another question.
Was in another Home Depot and got another Dendrobium. This one pale purple

and
white. One of the blossoms was open and the rest on on their way. Now

today it
looks like the opened one is withering and the next one in line to open is
starting to look dry as well. This one is planted in grey colored spagham

as
opposed to the other one. I know sometimes an orchid with drop it's

flowers
when it's moved. Is this the case?

Thanks for your help
Linda

Linda,

I am not sure if it is normal or not, but both Dendrobium that I bought
while blooming lost their buds within 2 weeks, and the couple of flowers did
not last long either. The plants seem to be doing well, it's been about 3
years and both of those have flowered since.

Diana

Old 05-08-2003, 03:02 PM
LYNN32141

In article , "disy"
writes:

but both Dendrobium that I bought
while blooming lost their buds within 2 weeks, and the couple of flowers did
not last long either.

I got lucky I'd say with one of the dendrobiums I've got that is in bloom since
June, and still has all it's flowers.. it is just not beginning to have some
flowe wither, and the stalk next to it, is sending up 2 flower shoots that are
almost ready to burst open.. I can't wait to see those beauties.

Lynn