Old 05-08-2003, 04:21 AM
Iain Miller

Default how to get above ground pump to work on a below ground pond.

"matt clark" wrote in message
om...
Hello,
I am in the process of installing a pond. it is about 15x8x4. I
already have the plumbing ran except for the skimmer. I am using a 4"
drain and using mortar for the lining. I already purchased the pump.
it is a 1 1/2 hp hayward aboveground pool pump. I recently poured the
slab for the pump and filter to sit on. When i bought the pump i was
told that it wouldnt be a big deal to prime it if it sits above the
water line. The more i read the more i get frightened. Once i install
the pump on the slab it will probably be about 8" above the water
line. Does anybody have any idea of how to prime this setup?

If its anything like most of the swimming pool pumps I've seen it'll have a
plastic lid that comes off with a couple of wing nuts. You just open it up &
pour a load of water into the chamber & then seal it up & start the pump -
it'll cough & splutter a bit but will settle fairly quickly & it should go
OK. Almost all swimming pool pumps are above the water level - I'd say don't
worry about it!

Another question i have is on the skimmer. Anybody have recomendations
on what skimmer to use for a mortar lined pond? or any installation
tips on it. or if i should even go through the hassle of putting one
in. Also how would i seal it up . along with the 4" drain at the
bottom.

Can't help with this one, no experience ! (Sorry)

I.