Old 05-08-2003, 10:02 AM
bigboard

Default Does compost need turning in a dalek bin

Chris Rowe wrote:
Hi
I have one of the dalek type compost bins and I'm told that compost needs
turning,apart from lifting the bin off the compost, moving the bin/compost
and refilling(lack of space and time consuming) how is this possible?
TIA Chris

I'm afraid this is the only really effective way with these type of
bins. I do this with mine about once a month, and it only takes about
ten minutes per bin if you really fo for it!

Otherwise, you can buy tools for the job. These are usually a long pole
with an attachment on one end. When you push it down through the
compost, the attachment stays closed, and then opens when you pull it
back up bring the lower layers with it. I've never used one, so can't
vouch for their effectiveness, but I would have thought that it could be
a bit messy with a full bin.