Old 05-08-2003, 10:12 AM
Joseph Meehan

Default Roots in lawn.

"Dave W" wrote in message
1...
This may be a stupid question but here goes.

I have a 15-20 ft tall White Ash tree in my front lawn. There are roots
on the surface of the 5 feet or so of surrounding lawn. My question is:
How do I deal with these roots? Can(should) I spread topsoil around to
raise the lawn up over the roots? Would that be a exercise in futility,
where the roots would continue to emerge. I wouldn't think cutting and
removing the handful of offending roots would be very good for the tree.
Not to mention the damge to the lawn.

You would only be fighting the nature of the tree. It or you will win.
If you win the tree dies, if it wins you have roots.

While I am here. I keep reading that leaving the clippings on the lawn is
good for the lawn. I have a Troy-Built mulcher but I alternate mulching
and bagging for fear of thatch. Am I worried over nothing? Should I mulch
all the time?

Mulch all the time. Thatch does not come from grass clippings. You are
bagging a great soil improver.

I am in a hotter part of Southern California if climate matters...

--
Dave W a.a.#1967

--
Joseph E. Meehan