Old 05-08-2003, 04:14 AM
Dave W

Default Roots in lawn.

This may be a stupid question but here goes.

I have a 15-20 ft tall White Ash tree in my front lawn. There are roots
on the surface of the 5 feet or so of surrounding lawn. My question is:
How do I deal with these roots? Can(should) I spread topsoil around to
raise the lawn up over the roots? Would that be a exercise in futility,
where the roots would continue to emerge. I wouldn't think cutting and
removing the handful of offending roots would be very good for the tree.
Not to mention the damge to the lawn.

While I am here. I keep reading that leaving the clippings on the lawn is
good for the lawn. I have a Troy-Built mulcher but I alternate mulching
and bagging for fear of thatch. Am I worried over nothing? Should I mulch
all the time?

I am in a hotter part of Southern California if climate matters...

--
Dave W a.a.#1967
Old 05-08-2003, 04:17 AM
Travis

Dave W wrote:
While I am here. I keep reading that leaving the clippings on
the lawn is good for the lawn. I have a Troy-Built mulcher but
I alternate mulching and bagging for fear of thatch. Am I
worried over nothing? Should I mulch all the time?

Mulch all the time.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5
Old 05-08-2003, 10:12 AM
Joseph Meehan

"Dave W" wrote in message
1...
This may be a stupid question but here goes.

I have a 15-20 ft tall White Ash tree in my front lawn. There are roots
on the surface of the 5 feet or so of surrounding lawn. My question is:
How do I deal with these roots? Can(should) I spread topsoil around to
raise the lawn up over the roots? Would that be a exercise in futility,
where the roots would continue to emerge. I wouldn't think cutting and
removing the handful of offending roots would be very good for the tree.
Not to mention the damge to the lawn.

You would only be fighting the nature of the tree. It or you will win.
If you win the tree dies, if it wins you have roots.

While I am here. I keep reading that leaving the clippings on the lawn is
good for the lawn. I have a Troy-Built mulcher but I alternate mulching
and bagging for fear of thatch. Am I worried over nothing? Should I mulch
all the time?

Mulch all the time. Thatch does not come from grass clippings. You are
bagging a great soil improver.

I am in a hotter part of Southern California if climate matters...

--
Dave W a.a.#1967

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old 05-08-2003, 02:02 PM
animaux

http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/lawnchallenge/lesson5.html
Old 05-08-2003, 06:12 PM
Dave W

animaux wrote in
:

Dave W wrote:
While I am here. I keep reading that leaving the clippings on
the lawn is good for the lawn. I have a Troy-Built mulcher but
I alternate mulching and bagging for fear of thatch. Am I
worried over nothing? Should I mulch all the time?

http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/lawnchallenge/lesson5.html

Neat, Thanks.

--
Dave W a.a.#1967

Old 05-08-2003, 06:12 PM
Dave W

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in
:

"Dave W" wrote in
message 1...
This may be a stupid question but here goes.

I have a 15-20 ft tall White Ash tree in my front lawn. There are
roots on the surface of the 5 feet or so of surrounding lawn. My
question is: How do I deal with these roots? Can(should) I spread
topsoil around to raise the lawn up over the roots? Would that be a
exercise in futility, where the roots would continue to emerge. I
wouldn't think cutting and removing the handful of offending roots
would be very good for the tree. Not to mention the damge to the
lawn.

You would only be fighting the nature of the tree. It or you will
win.
If you win the tree dies, if it wins you have roots.

I guess the best I can do is minimize the ruts in between the roots with a
little soil..

While I am here. I keep reading that leaving the clippings on the
lawn is good for the lawn. I have a Troy-Built mulcher but I
alternate mulching and bagging for fear of thatch. Am I worried over
nothing? Should I mulch all the time?

Mulch all the time. Thatch does not come from grass clippings.
You are
bagging a great soil improver.

Thanks.

--
Dave W a.a.#1967

[IMG] code is On

Maple tree: small roots growing over (and into) large roots Tree Guy Lawns 0 18-10-2008 04:00 PM
lawn roots irish Gardening 3 02-09-2006 02:24 PM
Tree roots under my lawn! Nel United Kingdom 3 29-08-2006 08:40 PM
lawn roots dying Steve T Lawns 19 03-09-2003 05:42 PM
lawn roots dying Steve T Lawns 0 13-08-2003 02:29 AM