Old 05-08-2003, 10:12 PM
Chris Hogg

Default Rhododendron

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 19:47:57 +0000 (UTC), "AWM"
wrote:

"Evelyn Usher" wrote in message
. ..
Hi there,

When is the best time to cut back a rhododendron? It is in a half barrel
and flowered well this year. However I would like to make it into a tree
rather than a bush

--
Evelyn

About 2 months ago immediately after flowering

In general terms, I agree. Be aware that not all rhodies tolerate
cutting back. Some won't shoot from old wood, some will. I don't know
how to tell the difference and have suffered the consequences (or
rather, the particular rhodie did, and died)!

But you may not be worried by that. If you're wanting to re-shape it
to encourage upward growth rather than outward growth, then presumably
you'll be cutting out side growth and leaving the upward growth. If
the side growth doesn't re-grow, you won't be worried. In which case I
doubt if timing matters too much. But be sure to leave some leaves,
shoots, top growth, whatever; don't cut everything off.

--
Chris