Old 04-08-2003, 06:43 PM
Evelyn Usher

Default Rhododendron

Hi there,

When is the best time to cut back a rhododendron? It is in a half barrel
and flowered well this year. However I would like to make it into a tree
rather than a bush

--
Evelyn

Old 05-08-2003, 04:22 AM
AWM

"Evelyn Usher" wrote in message
.. .
Hi there,

When is the best time to cut back a rhododendron? It is in a half barrel
and flowered well this year. However I would like to make it into a tree
rather than a bush

--
Evelyn

About 2 months ago immediately after flowering

Old 05-08-2003, 10:12 PM
Chris Hogg

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 19:47:57 +0000 (UTC), "AWM"
wrote:

"Evelyn Usher" wrote in message
. ..
Hi there,

When is the best time to cut back a rhododendron? It is in a half barrel
and flowered well this year. However I would like to make it into a tree
rather than a bush

--
Evelyn

About 2 months ago immediately after flowering

In general terms, I agree. Be aware that not all rhodies tolerate
cutting back. Some won't shoot from old wood, some will. I don't know
how to tell the difference and have suffered the consequences (or
rather, the particular rhodie did, and died)!

But you may not be worried by that. If you're wanting to re-shape it
to encourage upward growth rather than outward growth, then presumably
you'll be cutting out side growth and leaving the upward growth. If
the side growth doesn't re-grow, you won't be worried. In which case I
doubt if timing matters too much. But be sure to leave some leaves,
shoots, top growth, whatever; don't cut everything off.

--
Chris

Old 01-10-2003, 11:32 PM
Chris Stewart

"Evelyn Usher" wrote in message
Hi there,

Should I feed, cut back etc my rhododendrons now or wait to the spring.
They are planted in raised borders with peat?
--
Evelyn

Hi Evelyn,
Unless they have grown huge, or are in the way, don't cut them
back too much. You'll lose the flowers for next year. Better to wait till
it's flowered next year, brake off the bracts (?) once the flowers are past,
and cut back a third of the branches on the bush each year - that way you
maintain some flowers at least. Have you tried any of the rhodi sites for
advice?? Try here
http://www.rhodogroup-rhs.org/
or have a look on google.
Chris S

Old 02-10-2003, 07:56 AM
Evelyn Usher

Hi Chris

Thanks for advice.
--
Evelyn

Old 02-10-2003, 06:22 PM
Chris Hogg

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 00:35:41 GMT, Evelyn Usher
wrote:

Hi there,

Should I feed, cut back etc my rhododendrons now or wait to the spring.
They are planted in raised borders with peat?

I wouldn't do either. If you feed them now they may start into growth
which won't have hardened off before winter comes, and it'll get
damaged by frost. If you cut them back, you'll cut off any flower buds
there are (they make flower buds in the late summer, for next spring).
The pruned branches may not put out new growth, and if it does it may
get frosted (see previous), and they may die back.

Feed and prune in the spring after flowering, but most rhodies don't
usually need pruning except to control their size/shape when they get
too big. Remember to pinch out the flower heads as they die, but don't
damage the new shoots that come from just behind them. If you leave
the flower heads on, they don't flower so well in the following year.

--
Chris

Rhododendron limey Gardening 3 11-04-2003 11:08 PM
rhododendron problem Andy Gardening 7 11-04-2003 02:44 PM
Rhododendron question Craig L. Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:35 AM
Pests in Verbena and Rhododendron Peter James United Kingdom 1 30-03-2003 02:33 AM
rhododendron litangense questions from Oregon Doonemd Bonsai 0 26-03-2003 03:20 PM