Old 06-08-2003, 12:32 AM
Sarah Dale

Default Does compost need turning in a dalek bin

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 07:33:44 +0100, Chris Rowe wrote:
I have one of the dalek type compost bins and I'm told that compost needs
turning,apart from lifting the bin off the compost, moving the bin/compost

Well Chris, contrary to everyone elses opinion, I never used to turn my
dalek compost heap! Becasue as you have rightly noted, it is a long, hot,
back aching smelly job!

I used to limit it to emptying the dalek when it was full, using the good
stuff on the garden, putting the twiggy stuff back at the bottom of the
heap, followed by all the yet to rot down and part rotted stuff thrown
back in on top of the twigs. I used to do this 2- 3 times a year.

Now I have a wood frame much larger compost heap - and still don't turn
it!!! I can't because I haven't got the room in which to do so during the
summer gorwing season - I have to wait to Spet / Oct to empty and turn my
heap.

Undoubtedly, if you want more compost faster, then turning your heap is
the way to go. If you're not bothered, and can wiat until your heap is
full, then, don't worry too much.

Keep you compost input material well mixed and add activator as you see
fit, sit back and relax!

Sarah