Old 06-08-2003, 04:02 AM
David Hare-Scott

Default Tube stock Vs Seeds

"Bill McBride" wrote in message
I have over the years planted about 600 tube stock native and

non-natives on
my property. I ripped the ground prior to planting stuck them in and

left
them to there own devices (watering them was not really an option).

I am in a position to water, which I will do to improve the
establishment rate.

Most of
the natives have survived but with incredibly variable growth rates.

Two of
the same species planted 5 meters apart and one is now a tree the

other
still a shrub (for want of better description). Others sat in the

ground
doing nothing for years and then sprang into growth. So don't expect

plant 100 arcasia ?? and have a nice even hedge of them in 5 years

time.

Neat hedges are not important, something to block the southerly wind is
though!

FWIW planting a few hundred tubes by yourself is a big job if you

value you
time highly.

Yes it will be an effort.

The seed collecting/buying I have done has not resulted in many

plants, I
have one Silver Princess Gum that survived but that is about the end

of the
bought seeds list. Though mostly from neglect at critical times (work

gets
in the way of life often)

As Ned Kelly said "... such is life...."

David