Old 06-08-2003, 02:02 PM
Kay Easton

Default Plague of flies

In article , Robert Davies
writes

Last year we bought an electric fly killer (similar to those in cafes
but smaller) from B&Q but it was useless - didn't catch a thing and
soon broke altogether. Has anyone had any better results from one of
these? Any other recommendations of the best way to deter flies from
entering the house, without having to shut up all the windows, or
disposing of them once they're in would be welcome. I'm currently
swatting about five of the things every time I go into the kitchen.

Old fashioned sticky fly papers work well, but you have to position them
in places where the flies want to go.

You could try insectivorous plants - go for sarracenia or Venus fly
traps rather than sundews.

Have you tried mosquito netting or similar over the windows? - would let
the air in but not the flies.

I find the lace curtains in my study very useful - the flies head for
the window, and get behind the curtains, which restricts their mobility
so they're very easy to swat. (swat gently to avoid bloodstains on the
curtains!)

Finally, obviously - eliminate all attractive smells - empty the waste
bin regularly, keep food well covered, put the cats on to biscuits
instead of tinned meat, and so on.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: