Old 06-08-2003, 12:42 PM
Robert Davies

Default Plague of flies

A bit OT, I'm afraid, except that they are coming indoors from the
garden, straight into the kitchen. Every summer we have this problem
with houseflies and I usually blame the cows in the field at the end
of the garden. However, this year the farmer's planted barley instead
yet the flies seem worse than ever.

Last year we bought an electric fly killer (similar to those in cafes
but smaller) from B&Q but it was useless - didn't catch a thing and
soon broke altogether. Has anyone had any better results from one of
these? Any other recommendations of the best way to deter flies from
entering the house, without having to shut up all the windows, or
disposing of them once they're in would be welcome. I'm currently
swatting about five of the things every time I go into the kitchen.

Robert
Old 06-08-2003, 01:02 PM

e Any other recommendations of the best way to deter flies from
entering the house

1) Mesh over the windows. Make up an appropriate frame which fits onto the
windows, and stretch fine mesh over it. Pop it in place.

2) Get a cat which enjoys chasing and eating flies. Or I could hire out mine
for a 'reasonable' fee ;-)

- h

Old 06-08-2003, 02:02 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Robert Davies
writes

Last year we bought an electric fly killer (similar to those in cafes
but smaller) from B&Q but it was useless - didn't catch a thing and
soon broke altogether. Has anyone had any better results from one of
these? Any other recommendations of the best way to deter flies from
entering the house, without having to shut up all the windows, or
disposing of them once they're in would be welcome. I'm currently
swatting about five of the things every time I go into the kitchen.

Old fashioned sticky fly papers work well, but you have to position them
in places where the flies want to go.

You could try insectivorous plants - go for sarracenia or Venus fly
traps rather than sundews.

Have you tried mosquito netting or similar over the windows? - would let
the air in but not the flies.

I find the lace curtains in my study very useful - the flies head for
the window, and get behind the curtains, which restricts their mobility
so they're very easy to swat. (swat gently to avoid bloodstains on the
curtains!)

Finally, obviously - eliminate all attractive smells - empty the waste
bin regularly, keep food well covered, put the cats on to biscuits
instead of tinned meat, and so on.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 06-08-2003, 03:02 PM
JennyC

"Robert Davies" wrote in message
[...]

Go to one of the DIY shed and get a fly screen door - like the ones
you see in American movies :~))

There are ones that open like an extra door or ones that slide across.
Work really well :~))
Jenny

Old 06-08-2003, 03:46 PM
Registered User

Location: Ryarsh,Kent

you could also try pots of lemon balm at the back door. This deters them. I tried this at my last house, and the lemon balm, coupled with the old fashioned fly papers worked a treat.

Old 07-08-2003, 12:44 AM
Alan Gabriel

"Robert Davies" wrote in message
A bit OT, I'm afraid, except that they are coming indoors from the
garden, straight into the kitchen. Every summer we have this problem
with houseflies and I usually blame the cows in the field at the end
of the garden. However, this year the farmer's planted barley instead
yet the flies seem worse than ever.

Last year we bought an electric fly killer (similar to those in cafes
but smaller) from B&Q but it was useless - didn't catch a thing and
soon broke altogether. Has anyone had any better results from one of
these? Any other recommendations of the best way to deter flies from
entering the house, without having to shut up all the windows, or
disposing of them once they're in would be welcome. I'm currently
swatting about five of the things every time I go into the kitchen.

Robert

I wait until they land and suck them up with the vacuum cleaner pipe.

--
Regards,
Alan.

Preserve wildlife - Pickle a SQUIRREL to reply.

Surviving a plague of moths David W.E. Roberts United Kingdom 30 13-08-2003 09:12 PM
squash leaves with the plague ? Kathy Edible Gardening 5 12-08-2003 12:02 PM
Tiny Weevils - I think there's a plague of them eating my garden - please help Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 1 03-07-2003 11:44 PM
unknown plague Dgaim Roses 3 30-05-2003 05:56 PM
woolly aphids plague on native plants Greg Wake Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:34 AM