Old 06-08-2003, 05:42 PM
Terry Horton

Default Looking for native landscapes

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 12:35:20 GMT, animaux
wrote:

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 00:14:48 GMT, (Terry Horton) wrote:

Looking for small Texas native landscapes as examples for our
community entryway design. Please if you have any favorite store
fronts or street corners or medians done this way, could you drop me a
note, or post it here if that's appropriate? Doesn't need to be
fancy, just something that works... tnx. :-)

Off hand the only place I can think of is The Natural Gardener, but I can tell
you that keeping it simple is best. The plants I'd use would be native redbuds
in back, in front of those, Cenizo (forgive if I said of misspelled) then some
Muhly lindheimerii, with some Salvia gregii in front of that. You can get those
plants anywhere, and they are some of the most drought tolerant plants around.
They need little to no maintenance once established.

Thanks Victoria. Definitely a fine layout you have there. I'm a big
fan of all those plants (expect maybe S. greggii because it's
everywhere nowadays :-) Others at the top of the list so far - pine
muhly, four-nerve daisy, blackfoot daisy, blue skullcap, hesperaloe,
pavonia, all the native daleas. I'd like to do one area in cactus -
Opuntia violacea, horse crippler, lace cactus, maybe with Wright or
blackthorn acacia as a backdrop.

This is a big change for our subdivision, abandoning the well-watered
annual look.