Old 06-08-2003, 01:22 AM
Terry Horton

Default Looking for native landscapes

Looking for small Texas native landscapes as examples for our
community entryway design. Please if you have any favorite store
fronts or street corners or medians done this way, could you drop me a
note, or post it here if that's appropriate? Doesn't need to be
fancy, just something that works... tnx. :-)
Old 06-08-2003, 05:42 PM
Terry Horton

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 12:35:20 GMT, animaux
wrote:

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 00:14:48 GMT, (Terry Horton) wrote:

Looking for small Texas native landscapes as examples for our
community entryway design. Please if you have any favorite store
fronts or street corners or medians done this way, could you drop me a
note, or post it here if that's appropriate? Doesn't need to be
fancy, just something that works... tnx. :-)

Off hand the only place I can think of is The Natural Gardener, but I can tell
you that keeping it simple is best. The plants I'd use would be native redbuds
in back, in front of those, Cenizo (forgive if I said of misspelled) then some
Muhly lindheimerii, with some Salvia gregii in front of that. You can get those
plants anywhere, and they are some of the most drought tolerant plants around.
They need little to no maintenance once established.

Thanks Victoria. Definitely a fine layout you have there. I'm a big
fan of all those plants (expect maybe S. greggii because it's
everywhere nowadays :-) Others at the top of the list so far - pine
muhly, four-nerve daisy, blackfoot daisy, blue skullcap, hesperaloe,
pavonia, all the native daleas. I'd like to do one area in cactus -
Opuntia violacea, horse crippler, lace cactus, maybe with Wright or
blackthorn acacia as a backdrop.

This is a big change for our subdivision, abandoning the well-watered
annual look.
Old 06-08-2003, 06:02 PM
DScott

Have you tried the xeriscape garden at the Zilker Botanical Garden? I've
seen it both with limited plantings & with more extensive plantings. Either
way, it's a great place to start.
Dianne

Old 06-08-2003, 09:32 PM
J Kolenovsky

Terry, I am doing a east facing, hot exposure, bed of drought-tolerant
plants for a client. See if you like these:

a) 4 - 5 gal Grey Owl (Juniperus virginiana) GO
b) 1 - 10 gal Mexican Buckeye (Ungnadia speciosa) MB
c) 2 - 1 gal Yellow Gulf Coast Laurel (Sophora tomentosa) YL
d) 1 - 1 gal Wolfberry (Lycium pallidum) W
e) 1 - 1 gal Saint Andrew's Cross (Asucrum hypericoides) SA
f) 1 - 5 gal Red Yucca (Hesperaloe parviflora) RY
g) 1 - 2 gal Horse Crippler (Echinocactus texensis) HC
h) 1 - 1 gal Cholla (Opuntia imbricata) C
i) 1 - 1 gal Spineless Pricky Pear (Opuntia PP
j) 2 - 1 gal Mexican Sedum (Sedum mexicanum) MS
k) 1 - 1 gal Arkansas Yucca (Yucca arkansana) AY
l) 1 - 1 gal Agave Salmania AS
m) 1 - 1 gal Agave Victoria-reginae AV
n) 2 - 1 gal Copper Canyon Daisy (Tagetes lemonii) CC
o) 1 - 1 gal Rudbeckia fulgida "Goldsturm" R
p) 2 - 1 gal Rose Vervain (Verbena canadensis) RV
q) 1 - 1 gal Santa Barbara Daisy (Erigeron karvinskianus) D
r) 1 - 1 gal Mexican Honeysuckle (Justicia spicigera) MH =

s) 2 - 1 gal Fall Aster (Aster oblongifolia) FA

I can send you the .jpg of this site if you want.

J. Kolenovsky
http://www.celestialhabitats.com

Terry Horton wrote:
=

Looking for small Texas native landscapes as examples for our
community entryway design. Please if you have any favorite store
fronts or street corners or medians done this way, could you drop me a
note, or post it here if that's appropriate? Doesn't need to be
fancy, just something that works... tnx. :-)

-- =

J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal

Old 06-08-2003, 10:49 PM
Elliot Richmond

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 16:03:09 -0500, J Kolenovsky
wrote:

snippage
i) 1 - 1 gal Spineless Pricky Pear (Opuntia PP

more snippage

I like all of these except the prickly pear. In my experience they are
hard to keep in check. How do you prune a prickly pear? Also, they
seem to often become infected with that white fungus. What is your
experience?

Elliot Richmond
Freelance Science Writer and Editor

Old 07-08-2003, 12:32 AM
J Kolenovsky

Elliot, the "spineless prickly pear" was recommended by a fellow Master
Naturalist. I do not have any experience with them other than Google
searches. Thanks for giving me data to look up!

J. Kolenovsky

Elliot Richmond wrote:
=

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 16:03:09 -0500, J Kolenovsky
wrote:
=

snippage

Old 07-08-2003, 01:32 PM
animaux

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 16:40:45 GMT, (Terry Horton) wrote:

Thanks Victoria. Definitely a fine layout you have there. I'm a big
fan of all those plants (expect maybe S. greggii because it's
everywhere nowadays :-) Others at the top of the list so far - pine
muhly, four-nerve daisy, blackfoot daisy, blue skullcap, hesperaloe,
pavonia, all the native daleas. I'd like to do one area in cactus -
Opuntia violacea, horse crippler, lace cactus, maybe with Wright or
blackthorn acacia as a backdrop.

This is a big change for our subdivision, abandoning the well-watered
annual look.

Yes, it sounds wonderful and a good representative of our locally, craggy
landscape. I never could figure out why people try to make things look lush and
tropical. It takes a ton of water and it seems out of place for Texas.

I have all the plants you named except one, I don't have blue skullcap. I
started seeds of hesperaloe last winter in the greenhouse and now I have 48
plants in 4 inch pots. The plants are still very small, so I will leave them in
the pots one more year and in the spring plant them. I'm going to have a huge
stand of this plant. There is nothing more beautiful, en masse, and
hummingbirds LOVE them.

One more thing, I find blackfoot daisy to be short lived...but if it's in a
landscape which is not over watered, it may do much better than it did for me.
I do tend to over baby my plants, when they don't need it!

Good luck,
Victoria
Old 07-08-2003, 01:32 PM
animaux

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 21:32:27 GMT, Elliot Richmond
wrote:

I like all of these except the prickly pear. In my experience they are
hard to keep in check. How do you prune a prickly pear? Also, they
seem to often become infected with that white fungus. What is your
experience?

Elliot Richmond
Freelance Science Writer and Editor

I have one in the front bed which has a pink cast to the new foliage and a very
light lemon colored flower in spring. It's beautiful. I haven't had much
trouble with keeping it in bounds, nor have I had any trouble (knock on wood)
with powdery mildew. Maybe if it's watered too much it can get that. They are
not hard to prune or keep in bounds. Whenever I did have to keep one in check,
I'd roll up about 20 sheets of newspaper, wearing long rose gloves and go in
with a small pruning saw. Not hard at all. Just takes patience and maybe the
help of another person, also in long gloves!

Old 12-08-2003, 04:11 AM
J Kolenovsky

I found this URL today,
http://www.npsot.org/features/prickly_pear.htm

J. Kolenovsky

Elliot Richmond wrote:
=

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 16:03:09 -0500, J Kolenovsky
wrote:
=

snippage