Old 07-08-2003, 01:32 PM
animaux

Default Looking for native landscapes

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 16:40:45 GMT, (Terry Horton) wrote:

Thanks Victoria. Definitely a fine layout you have there. I'm a big
fan of all those plants (expect maybe S. greggii because it's
everywhere nowadays :-) Others at the top of the list so far - pine
muhly, four-nerve daisy, blackfoot daisy, blue skullcap, hesperaloe,
pavonia, all the native daleas. I'd like to do one area in cactus -
Opuntia violacea, horse crippler, lace cactus, maybe with Wright or
blackthorn acacia as a backdrop.

This is a big change for our subdivision, abandoning the well-watered
annual look.

Yes, it sounds wonderful and a good representative of our locally, craggy
landscape. I never could figure out why people try to make things look lush and
tropical. It takes a ton of water and it seems out of place for Texas.

I have all the plants you named except one, I don't have blue skullcap. I
started seeds of hesperaloe last winter in the greenhouse and now I have 48
plants in 4 inch pots. The plants are still very small, so I will leave them in
the pots one more year and in the spring plant them. I'm going to have a huge
stand of this plant. There is nothing more beautiful, en masse, and
hummingbirds LOVE them.

One more thing, I find blackfoot daisy to be short lived...but if it's in a
landscape which is not over watered, it may do much better than it did for me.
I do tend to over baby my plants, when they don't need it!

Good luck,
Victoria