Old 07-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Plants growing through the floor slab

In article m,
Louise writes:
| Help! - I have a ivy type plant growing up from behind the skirting
| board.
|
| It does not appear to be growing outside, so I assume its growing from
| under the floor slab.
|
| What can I use to kill this plant - permanently- bearing in mind that
| its indoors.

First find out what it is, second check that it REALLY isn't coming
from outside, and third do what is appropriate.

It is extremely rare for vascular plants to grow entirely inside a
house, and the easiest solution for any photosynthesising plant
that does is to cover it with something lightproof. Or even just
cut its leaves off and keep doing so.

It is far more common for a shoot to come up from a plant growing
outside, often quite a long way away. In rare circumstances that
can mean several tens of metres. Depending on lots of things,
you may then be advised to kill the plant directly or merely
cause the shoot to die back.

If it is something like bindweed, the outside plant may not be
obvious.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.