Old 07-08-2003, 04:00 PM
Registered User

Location: Aylesbury
Question Plants growing through the floor slab

Help! - I have a ivy type plant growing up from behind the skirting board.

It does not appear to be growing outside, so I assume its growing from under the floor slab.

What can I use to kill this plant - permanently- bearing in mind that its indoors.

Thanks in anticipation

Louise
Old 07-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Plants growing through the floor slab

In article m,
Louise writes:
| Help! - I have a ivy type plant growing up from behind the skirting
| board.
|
| It does not appear to be growing outside, so I assume its growing from
| under the floor slab.
|
| What can I use to kill this plant - permanently- bearing in mind that
| its indoors.

First find out what it is, second check that it REALLY isn't coming
from outside, and third do what is appropriate.

It is extremely rare for vascular plants to grow entirely inside a
house, and the easiest solution for any photosynthesising plant
that does is to cover it with something lightproof. Or even just
cut its leaves off and keep doing so.

It is far more common for a shoot to come up from a plant growing
outside, often quite a long way away. In rare circumstances that
can mean several tens of metres. Depending on lots of things,
you may then be advised to kill the plant directly or merely
cause the shoot to die back.

If it is something like bindweed, the outside plant may not be
obvious.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 08-08-2003, 06:15 PM
David W.E. Roberts

s.com...

--
Louise

Lousie,

once you have worked out where it is coming from (and beaten up the guilty
if required) then there is good advice elsewhere on this NG about killing
invasive plants.

One way is to contain the end of the tendrils in a sealed plasic bag along
with some weedkiller such as Tumbleweed.
This ensures that the weedkiller is absorbed but is not tranferred to
anything else.
As always, follow the safety precautions on the packet including washing
hands etc.

HTH
Dave R

Old 09-08-2003, 03:13 PM
Yamxs850

Until a few years ago I had Ivy on my outside walls until I realised I wouldn`t
be able to trim them when they got roof high (scared of heights) so I cut them
off at soil level and just left the leaves etc to wither away. I dug a small
trench around the roots and put solution of sodium chlorate around the
roots,this worked for me.I then dugout the roots the following
year.....However....
Only this month(3 years after I killed off) I had reason to go under the ground
floor...hell there were roots about 20 feet long under there(dead though) I say
roots maybe was foliage but they had crept in via the air vents at the
time,unknown to me.Hate to think what would have happened had I not killed the
Ivy off!
Thats my story and how I dealt with it.

remove niljunk to send e-mail.

Concrete slab/patio cleaner ? Barb United Kingdom 16 08-04-2005 03:08 PM
Question for Ray: slab to S/H dd Orchids 6 03-09-2004 05:02 PM
Concrete slab dip Dave Lawns 4 25-07-2004 11:02 AM
lifting paving slab hillier United Kingdom 4 13-02-2004 09:40 PM
Need help with slab for my return to pond John Hines Ponds 0 21-05-2003 06:20 PM