Old 07-08-2003, 07:24 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Default Ancient Greek word for silver birch

"o8TY"
Could someone please post the ancient Greek word for the silver birch,

or provide a suitable reference.
I have checked Theophrastos but there is no listing for the tree. This

is most odd because he grew up in the region where the silver birch grew.
And Pliny only provides the Latin name Betula.
Thanks in advance.

===
"donald j haarmann" wrote
Have we tried the obvious!? A English - Greek Dictionary?
This (Web) dictionary one has an entry for "birch". No doubt there are

other dictionaries out there!!

http://www.kypros.org/cgi-bin/lexicon/

========
Mike Lyle schreef
If only life were so simple! The Cyprus dictionary doesn't claim to
know a classical word for the tree; though *semyda* looks probable,
Liddell and Scott say the meaning is speculative (they say it is in
Theophrastus, by the way). I don't know why this should be, unless
it's one of those words which was revived for Modern Greek after a
period of oblivion.

Mike.

+ + +
Well Samyda does have a botanical history, being used for a genus. It is the
more noteworthy since the genus lends its name to a family that is on the
point of being revived (or not).

But perhaps the OP will give his opinion on why it is speculative after he
has found it in Theophrastus
PvR