Old 08-08-2003, 12:47 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default Can you grow sweet potatoes please?

In article ,
Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt wrote:

I live in Reading, Berkshire and have an allotment.

Could I grow sweet potatoes please? To-day, I bought some sweet potatoes
that has sprouted and after cutting them into small chunks have grown them.
Let us see what would happen.

In India, they flourish during the winter.

No chance, I am afraid :-(

Even with Global Warming (TM), the UK gets only a few months of hot,
sunny weather - and then it is no more than a subtropical winter.
We can't grow anything except short-season subtropicals, and sweet
potatoes are long-season vegetables.

I am sprouting a tip for amusement, and reports are that you can get
a mediocre crop in a polytunnel, but they aren't really possible in
the UK.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.