Old 08-08-2003, 09:04 AM
Tasslehoff

Default 55g planted setup

I totally agree with racf here, I've only got 2.15W/G in a 65G in a
light/moderately planted tank and my swords(amazonicus,ozelot) and val start
pearling in a matter of 4 hours. A varied selection of low cost lighting $4
36W polyux GE triphosphor tubes(2x6000,1x5000, 1x4000) and a decent
reflector can do wonders. I was considering getting a third dual-tube
ballast as I've got a 4x18x18 and the tubes/ballasts only cover half of the
cover glass but now I'm not so sure. The lumens for these tubes are rated
from 3250 to 3350 whatever that means.

"Racf" wrote in message

"Josh" wrote in message
But the main reason for going with AH Supply p.c is because then I can
get the 2WPG that I want, how much can I get from a few shoplights...

Its probably more a matter of the lumens you will get, and how much you
need for whatever you decide to do.... The watts per gallon is a crude
measure. A lot depends on the bulb choice and setup. Not too many
folks would literally lay a shoplight on their tank. Its usually the
components that are desired. Very popular a short time ago.

Four T-12 or T-8 bulbs is rather bright.....a little brighter with a
reflector.

Something the dopehead pot growers use a lot is that Mylar film. Its
99% reflective.....like a mirror....some use it in DIY stuff. Its also
a good heat reflector.

When I started doing the plant thing a few years ago....my biggest
reason for early failures was not any of the items in discussion, but
simply getting real quality aquatic plants. Then the problem for me was
keeping up with the trimming. At first its fun, then it gets to be a
chore. On my (4) T12 fixture hung over 100 gallons, I took 2 of the
bulbs out....more light than I needed.... Its not a shoplight,
though.....I sprang for the deluxe $20 model due to estectics. In the
kitchen I went for $80 to get an Oak enclosure.....

Good luck with your new tank. Its a grand feeling......and soon you
will have a room full of them...

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 15:30:14 -0500, "Racf"
wrote:

"Steve Hampton" wrote in message
I think you are overstating a bit.......but that's ok...AH supply
zealots usually do....
(4) T8s or T4s without a polished aluminum reflector do produce
enough
light to be successful and at a fraction of the cost upfront and
on the
backend. The ballast alone is well worth $10.

AH Supply zealots? Gee, being rude and overly aggressive aren't

you.

I'm curious about the T4's you mentioned. What length do they come
in, color spectrum, and temperature. Where can you get T4 bulbs and
do they have the same pin configuration as T8's?

--
Steve H.

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
But Today is a Gift...That's why we call it the Present!

T12 not T4