Old 08-08-2003, 10:02 PM
animaux

Default Angel's Trumpet-short lived flower?

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 15:01:01 GMT, DigitalVinyl wrote:

I've read that Datura was reclassified as Brugmansia but information
is confusing. It looks like Datura meteloides didn't get changed. My
seed packet said d.m. The Sunset book says D.meteloides have upward
facing flowers and Brugmansia hang downward. I don't know how true
that is... mine start straight up but when blossomed hang downward
facing.

Datura was not reclassified. There is still Datura spp and what they did was
branch Brugmansia into its own taxonomy. I can give dates and specific
information, but all datura face upward, all brugmansia hand downward. There is
no confusion about that. I've been collecting and growing them for a decade.
There is one book on the market which was originally in German, now finally has
been translated to English. I ordered it months ago. I also bought the German
version about 8 years ago, or so. Even though it was in German, I used the
excellent photographs and line drawings to identify many plants in my posession.

I am hoping to overwinter this plant indoors this year (it is Zone
9-10 I believe) and repot in a tub for next years growth.

Why?

I wish people would put some space between post lines, but I always bring my
brugmansia indoors in winter. Now that I have a greenhouse for them, they stay
in there all winter. They are root hardy (sometimes) where I live in USDA Zone
8b.