Old 09-08-2003, 02:32 PM
Jan Flora

Default outside shower

In article , tomj wrote:

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 02:30:18 -0800, (Jan Flora)
wrote:

Outdoor showers are the bee's knees in hot country, in the summer. They
are just delightful. I never thought to plant mint or lemon balm around

mine,
but that's a great idea.

Jan, in Alaska

Goofy is living in Alaska and thinking that week of warm weather
qualifies as summer.....

*ROLF*

It was 104F. in Chicken, Alaska on the 4th of July a couple of years ago.
Chicken is about 70 miles south of the arctic circle. It stays hot in the
Interior
for more than a week. Maybe 6 weeks. That's long enough! (We had major
water balloon fights at that Miners Picnic when it was 104. Even the elders
in their 80's and 90's got into it. And everyone kept running over to Chicken
Creek to lay down in the water, between water balloon fights.)

I didn't always live here. Lived in the foothills of the Sierra for a long time,
were temps over 100F. are common for months and months... *sigh* I got
stuck down there a few years ago, when my pop died. Right in the height of
summer. The guy at a Sizzler thought I was joking when I asked to stand in the
walk-in fridge for awhile. (I wasn't kidding. It was 108F. and I was
heat-stroking.)
All of my camps in the Sierra had outdoor showers. Some even had solar-heated
water.

The shower up in my mining camp near Chicken is outdoors. I ran a poly-line way
up the creek, into a Paloma on-demand water heater. The shower has a river-rock
floor and a shack around it. (City girls who visit get nervous around thorny old
gold miners. They need a shower stall. The rest of us could care less.)

What I don't understand is why they don't evacuate the entire southwest in the
summertime. It's uninhabitable, IMO.

Jan