Old 09-08-2003, 02:33 PM
Pat Meadows

Default Cubicle worker.

On 8 Aug 2003 20:41:17 -0700,
) wrote:

I thought that maybe two small pepper plants would look pretty in a
clay pot that is eighteen inches long, eight inches wide, six inches
deep. One with red peppers and the other with yellow peppers? I am
not sure..

I think they'd look pretty too, but I don't think they'd
have enough light.

Can you get one of those adjustable desk lamps and put it on
your desk, over the plants, to supplement the ceiling
lights? Some of the desk lamps have fluorescent bulbs - or
you could use a compact fluorescent.

Red Robin and Yellow Canary are miniature tomatoes: the Red
Robin plants get about one foot high and will grow happily
in a 6" pot, although probably an 8" pot would be even
better. The Yellow Canary are indeterminate and will grow
indefinitely, I suppose, but could be pruned.

I have nine Red Robins (each in a 6" pot) growing happily in
my bay window, but this is a huge window (8' x 6') with
another two windows at 45 degree angles to it (the whole
affair sticks out from the house and faces southeast), so
they get a terrific amount of light there - no doubt several
orders of magnitude more light than ceiling-fluorescent
office lights.

Have you considered herbs? They'd probably need less light
than a fruiting plant.

Pat